In my last post I wrote about writing styles and working on revisions for a conference I lead on relationships.
I am finding I am doing better at writing in small chunks when I must change styles. How about you?
This week it was time to change my writing style once again. I am still not working on the community book, BUT I am getting closer.
From Monday to Friday–
I wrote the script for a podcast, aired live and filled in many blanks for the course. I wrote copy for a power point and recorded a companion video.
In the middle of all of this I managed to read a few pages in a biography. Format- hard cover book! Why? This moves me away from my technology for a short time.
Next week it is time to take the step! What step? It is time to place into my schedule a time to work on the book focused on community. (I mentioned it in the previous blog post.)
This will be a challenging week, because it will require me to move from online course writing to book writing, to podcasting!
How about you; are you willing to be stretched in your writing style, reading style and schedule?
If we really want to reach a goal, including goals that do not include writing we must be willing to incorporate self discipline into our life.
A few simple tips-
- Set up one day a week to review your schedule. Place a time for writing in your schedule. Even if you can only squeeze in 30 minutes every other day, some is better than none.
- Recently I placed a timer app on my PC. Suggestion- Decide how much time you have to write. Shut off all notification sounds on your devices. This time is only for writing!
- This is how I set up my writing time. I shut off my smart phone. I turn off all of the notifications on my PC. I work best at my desk. I move anything on my desk that may distract me to another place. I close my office blinds to stop from glancing out the window. My favorite cup of coffee is on the left and now it is time to begin.
- Once again a reminder- Get rid of all or nothing thinking and write, write, write.
- Add reading to your schedule. Read, read, read. Read different styles of books. If we only read one style of writing eventually we may become stuck. Stretch yourself into the land of unfamiliar reading styles.
- Go for a walk, and ponder your writing project. Take your phone with you and record your thoughts for later. Even if you never use the recording it will assist your mind to focus on your writing as you walk.
- Most importantly – relax and enjoy your times of writing. Let the words flow. Stop and take a deep breathe and begin again.
My blog post time is up! It is now time for me to go back and work on the writing for the online Relationship Course. I scheduled 30 minutes more and then it is time to relax.
Happy writing, and please do not be afraid of writing in and reading various styles. In today’s world they are only a keystroke or screen slide away.
Staying on the writing journey with you.
The Relationship Institute