The struggle of writing requirements, overrides our desires.
I begin my morning scanning through the files on my computer. I am looking for a folder with a list of characters for a fiction book.
I am unable to find the character sheet, but I locate the outlines for other books I am working on.
I scan the memoir, the community book, the outline for a future course and an idea sheet for writing topics.
I stop at the community book folder and long to open the file and work on this book today. It is calling my name. It is calling me, please spend time with me.
this is not to be.
Instead I close the file and move back into focusing on the online course I am writing and designing on the topic of a quiet heart.
Then…..after a few hours I will move back to the book writing that is calling my name.
Write on my friends, do what needs to be finished then move into the file that is calling your name.
How to fit into our lives what we love. Writing, reading and time.
In my last post I wrote about writing styles and working on revisions for a conference I lead on relationships.
I am finding I am doing better at writing in small chunks when I must change styles. How about you?
This week it was time to change my writing style once again. I am still not working on the community book, BUT I am getting closer.
From Monday to Friday–
I wrote the script for a podcast, aired live and filled in many blanks for the course. I wrote copy for a power point and recorded a companion video.
In the middle of all of this I managed to read a few pages in a biography. Format- hard cover book! Why? This moves me away from my technology for a short time.
Next week it is time to take the step! What step? It is time to place into my schedule a time to work on the book focused on community. (I mentioned it in the previous blog post.)
This will be a challenging week, because it will require me to move from online course writing to book writing, to podcasting!
How about you; are you willing to be stretched in your writing style, reading style and schedule?
If we really want to reach a goal, including goals that do not include writing we must be willing to incorporate self discipline into our life.
A few simple tips-
- Set up one day a week to review your schedule. Place a time for writing in your schedule. Even if you can only squeeze in 30 minutes every other day, some is better than none.
- Recently I placed a timer app on my PC. Suggestion- Decide how much time you have to write. Shut off all notification sounds on your devices. This time is only for writing!
- This is how I set up my writing time. I shut off my smart phone. I turn off all of the notifications on my PC. I work best at my desk. I move anything on my desk that may distract me to another place. I close my office blinds to stop from glancing out the window. My favorite cup of coffee is on the left and now it is time to begin.
- Once again a reminder- Get rid of all or nothing thinking and write, write, write.
- Add reading to your schedule. Read, read, read. Read different styles of books. If we only read one style of writing eventually we may become stuck. Stretch yourself into the land of unfamiliar reading styles.
- Go for a walk, and ponder your writing project. Take your phone with you and record your thoughts for later. Even if you never use the recording it will assist your mind to focus on your writing as you walk.
- Most importantly – relax and enjoy your times of writing. Let the words flow. Stop and take a deep breathe and begin again.
My blog post time is up! It is now time for me to go back and work on the writing for the online Relationship Course. I scheduled 30 minutes more and then it is time to relax.
Happy writing, and please do not be afraid of writing in and reading various styles. In today’s world they are only a keystroke or screen slide away.
Staying on the writing journey with you.
The Relationship Institute
As I listen to this song all kinds of relationships apply to this song. For me this song reminds me that as we build a team for The Relationship Project, we will build a team that will stand by each other. Maybe someone needs to hear these words tonight. A few times in my life organizations threw me overboard and disconnected. BUT it did not stop me from moving forward or continuing on with what I am to do in this world.
Tonight I finally received confirmation of the why a group threw me overboard. What I was observing without speaking was right on! Many times people will give us a reason that is not the true reason. Beware of people who are ladder climbers, they will sacrifice you for their gain. They will even talk about you behind your back and there will be times they will reveal the truth without realizing they are revealing it. Listen closely to what is said and what is written.
If one group of people throw us overboard, it does not mean we must discontinue our vision or plan. In fact what usually happens is we will find ourselves in the middle of a new group of people and what we are working on will grow to huge proportions if we DO NOT GIVE UP, stay focused and be discerning with who we bring up close to our projects. Whether your dream is to write or to travel; make a plan, set short term goals and long term goals, take a step and eventually you will find yourself at your destination.
As for me, I am standing with you! As for my readers, make a decision and do not give up! (Nancy J. the author of Life Time Writer.)