It is 10:15 p.m. on a Thursday evening. For the last week my blog would surface in my mind at odd times in my day. In the middle of editing my course I begin to think about what I will write for the Life Time Writer.
I walk to the mailbox, and I begin to write a post in my head.
I wake up in the morning…well…you have the idea. It is time to write this post!
It is 10:15 p.m and all of “other” writing is off my desk. I am sitting before my screen signed in to the Life Time Writer page. Much has happened since my last post.
The Relationship Conference is growing as we set up conferences in 3 locations in the USA and a 4th as a global conference.
This journey began with writing. Writing 3 sentences on a page, that became 3 topics for a conference. All writing…
An online course flowed out from the 3 sentences on a page.
A book focused on community, is partially written and flowing out of the 3 sentences on a page.
AND FINALLY…the memoir is in the beginning stages.
As a life time writer my life has had moments of pain, struggles and hardships. Yet, there is always a rainbow waiting for me on the other side.
As I write this post I am reminded that this writing story of mine, is the beauty that unexpectedly arrives in the middle of life and my writing.
Words for my readers; Don’t forget to look for the joy in life. Look for the beauty and enjoy the writing journey.
Be determined to become a life time writer. The world is waiting for you and your words.
Writing in different styles is a challenge.
Lately I describe my life using one word. Write, write, write and write again. Have you ever experienced a time of stretching with your writing?
Currently my writing requires different styles of writing. Everything from writing short copy for marketing, to writing an online course, writing a blog post, and a book. I am finding because of the diversity of the style it requires me to have a discipline mind.
Do you ever struggle with writing in different styles? For me I am finding to break my writing projects into days. On the day I am working on the course I do not work on the book. The next day I work on the book.
Today’s world of writing is changed forever. How about you do you have suggestions that may assist others in our changing world of writing. Go to the comment section and share with us.
Thanks in advance for joining us and sharing.
The Life Time Writer
The struggle of writing requirements, overrides our desires.
I begin my morning scanning through the files on my computer. I am looking for a folder with a list of characters for a fiction book.
I am unable to find the character sheet, but I locate the outlines for other books I am working on.
I scan the memoir, the community book, the outline for a future course and an idea sheet for writing topics.
I stop at the community book folder and long to open the file and work on this book today. It is calling my name. It is calling me, please spend time with me.
this is not to be.
Instead I close the file and move back into focusing on the online course I am writing and designing on the topic of a quiet heart.
Then…..after a few hours I will move back to the book writing that is calling my name.
Write on my friends, do what needs to be finished then move into the file that is calling your name.
A resource for you. This is a wonderful resource to keep us in the loop in the world of writing.
How to fit into our lives what we love. Writing, reading and time.
In my last post I wrote about writing styles and working on revisions for a conference I lead on relationships.
I am finding I am doing better at writing in small chunks when I must change styles. How about you?
This week it was time to change my writing style once again. I am still not working on the community book, BUT I am getting closer.
From Monday to Friday–
I wrote the script for a podcast, aired live and filled in many blanks for the course. I wrote copy for a power point and recorded a companion video.
In the middle of all of this I managed to read a few pages in a biography. Format- hard cover book! Why? This moves me away from my technology for a short time.
Next week it is time to take the step! What step? It is time to place into my schedule a time to work on the book focused on community. (I mentioned it in the previous blog post.)
This will be a challenging week, because it will require me to move from online course writing to book writing, to podcasting!
How about you; are you willing to be stretched in your writing style, reading style and schedule?
If we really want to reach a goal, including goals that do not include writing we must be willing to incorporate self discipline into our life.
A few simple tips-
- Set up one day a week to review your schedule. Place a time for writing in your schedule. Even if you can only squeeze in 30 minutes every other day, some is better than none.
- Recently I placed a timer app on my PC. Suggestion- Decide how much time you have to write. Shut off all notification sounds on your devices. This time is only for writing!
- This is how I set up my writing time. I shut off my smart phone. I turn off all of the notifications on my PC. I work best at my desk. I move anything on my desk that may distract me to another place. I close my office blinds to stop from glancing out the window. My favorite cup of coffee is on the left and now it is time to begin.
- Once again a reminder- Get rid of all or nothing thinking and write, write, write.
- Add reading to your schedule. Read, read, read. Read different styles of books. If we only read one style of writing eventually we may become stuck. Stretch yourself into the land of unfamiliar reading styles.
- Go for a walk, and ponder your writing project. Take your phone with you and record your thoughts for later. Even if you never use the recording it will assist your mind to focus on your writing as you walk.
- Most importantly – relax and enjoy your times of writing. Let the words flow. Stop and take a deep breathe and begin again.
My blog post time is up! It is now time for me to go back and work on the writing for the online Relationship Course. I scheduled 30 minutes more and then it is time to relax.
Happy writing, and please do not be afraid of writing in and reading various styles. In today’s world they are only a keystroke or screen slide away.
Staying on the writing journey with you.
The Relationship Institute